Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cousins Rights



It's funny - Steve's side of the family had a bundle of babies in a four year span, so the concept of cousins is pretty mundane for my kids: Cousins? I just call them "the multitude"... you're my cousin? sure you are - so is half this block!
So when my side of the family finally got on the board this year it feels like a totally different introduction to the idea of a cousin.
I can't say I worried over including Ryley at all, I figured (especially since my bro & sis in law moved closer to us) she would melt in just like the other gaggle of cousins.  And she did.  BUT it has been somehow more... novel to watch.  She doesn't have siblings stealing her stuff yet and mom and dad haven't been horrendously unfair taking another child's side over hers.  So here she is with this group of cousins, all getting in her face and making funny noises at her.  Ryley, luckily is no wuss and is actually pretty nonchalant about it.  In fact, I believe she is really starting to like the chaos.
Abby of course has always been up to making faces and cooing and wanting to hold or pat her new cousin.  Finn is happy enough with her - I can't remember at the moment him making a lot of moves toward forming a bond, but he'll come over to her, scrunch to her level and speak gobbly gook which I think is cute.
Jack however, seems to have followed more in Abby's footsteps as he likes to be up close and personal with the cousins, no matter which side they're from.  I find this super duper cute.  Especially since it took a long road of him playing too hard with cousins for a long time.
Anyway, I worried a little - not about Ryley melding in, but I wondered how her parents would feel as my kids get MORE and more comfortable messing with her.  I mean, neither parent is a wuss, both wrestled plenty with their own sibling(s) but this is their first born after all - they haven't even dropped her yet ;). So far they are fine, but she hasn't been introduced to the homemade Wipeout course in our living room yet... so we'll see ;).
OH but my point.  My point is, the kids seem to know instinctively that she is one of their own, so they (unlike me) aren't worried about whether her mom is ready for her to be tickled or added to the game of transformers: autobots vs. decepticons because Ryley is theirs too.  So are the kids from the other side - you mess with one of them, they'll stop squabbling amongst themselves and take you down.  You've been warned.
They have cousins rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment