Monday, February 25, 2013

Fussy Eaters Unite

An Open Letter to Parents of Fussy Eaters

Anyone who has known me long knows I was the poster child for fussy eating from the time I was 3 until I was... well 35.

According to my mother I ate everything until I noticed my brother did not.  From then on, no amount of bribery, cajoling, pleading, guilt, starvation, or nudging could drive me off course.

I can literally list for you what I ate from Kindergarten-College without exception (I'm not going to count desserts in here):

  • Plain chicken breast
  • Cheerios
  • Instant Breakfast (Chocolate mostly though I remember very early on a vanilla phase)
  • Top Ramen (dry or cooked - Beef flavor only)
  • Steak (plain)
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Frozen peanut butter sandwiches
  • Microwavable White Rice with salt
  • Pizza (Cheese Pizza ONLY)
  • McDonalds Hamburgers PLAIN (brief memory of eating the nuggets but not liking them)
Hmm... I'm running low... Thinking hard now...
  • Rice Crispies (Every now and then)
  • Spaghetti (at Christmas at Auntie Lucy's)
  • Pancakes 
  • Sourdough Toast (Pioneer Brand)
  • Other Sundry Bread (but only if starving)
  • Cheese (chedder and string)
  • Chips (doritos plain flavor, pringles)
  • Saltines
  • Peanuts
  • Sunflower seeds
I mean I'm sure I'll think of a few more things but... not many.

My eating habits were a constant embarrassment to my family.  And I'm sure especially to my mom a pretty serious stress.

My kids have Steve to balance them out a bit and so far Abby & Jack are doing steller in comparison to their mom.  But Finn is currently on a graham cracker & cream cheese kick.  And Bananas.  That's about it.  It's not good.

BUT as I was worrying about this today I wanted to remind myself... and anyone else who might want the encouragement.  

I was the fussiest of eaters and yet:

I have had and do have long lasting nourishing loving relationships.
I am on excellent, loving terms with everyone in my family - that includes my in-laws!
I did excellent in school.
I was a part of many extra curricular activities (granted they were mostly nerdy ones)
I dated.
I made up curfews that were earlier than what my parents would have said they were.
The only times I was ever out late with a boy before Steve, we were actually literally just talking.  Really.
I've never smoked a cigarette.
I've never experimented or tried any drug stronger than Tylenol.  (And when I do choose to do Tylenol I follow the prescribed dosage.)
I've never had a speeding ticket. I've only even ever been pulled over twice. I was given warnings only.
I've never had a non-productive argument with anyone in my family.
Some people like me who aren't even related to me.
I found work in high school, college, and after college.
I graduated from pre-school, elementary school, high school, college, and pre-marital counseling.
I can play the piano.
I can write a damn good essay.
I can draw, paint, watercolor, or take a pretty picture
I never got sent to the principal's office... I'm not sure I ever got in trouble in school at all.
I don't cuss.  Except that one afternoon with Juliana S. because she thought it was really really funny.
The only time I drink alcohol is when my friends really really want to be entertained (once every 3-5 years?).
I've never bowed to peer pressure of any kind ever (except maybe for the drinking thing, but that's slightly different).
I'm only two months behind on my scrapbooking.
I love my kids.
Most people would even assume I was pretty normal if they don't speak to me.

And... finally... eventually, I did learn to love trying things.  It took Steve saying he wouldn't date me unless I liked Mexican food (I then ate chicken fajitas every single day, twice a day for 10 years straight - joke's on him sucker!!! Just kidding! Love you babe!).  It took going to dozens of weddings in which all the appetizers were chinese inspired and I was really really hungry.  And finally... it took my third pregnancy to do just what everyone always said would happen.  Instead of crave odd foods - the girl who always ate oddly - craved normal food.

Point being?  I figured it out.  I've never had a prolonged sickness or broken a bone and if given enough time I figured stuff out.  So will your kids.  





No comments:

Post a Comment