Saturday, March 24, 2012

Dad

The boys are sick this week.  And as I sat there on the floor of the bathroom with Jack as he pleaded with me "Please, I don't want to throw up, Please, I thought I was feeling better."  And then moments later, when he knew it was time, he turned and hurled into the toilet instead of me or the floor.

Abby took longer with that, but she is so brave too.  It's not like most of us enjoy throwing up, but as we all grow to realize, USUALLY it means we'll feel better- at least for a little while.  It makes me remember the last time Abby threw up. I blogged about it then too because it struck me as so sweet, so brave.  She threw up, then, delighted and relieved told me, "I didn't want to, but I prayed I would because I knew I'd feel better and God answered my prayer!"  (or something like that).

The kids are so brave, and whilst I give these kids my heart and soul, they get their bravery from their dad.  Steve carries himself with a strength that I know the kids just naturally are going to pick up and hopefully recognize in others as a good person to hang around.

I know that our family space is what our normal is.  So me telling Steve he needs to be more effusive in order for the kids to feel his love is just plain wrong.  The kids are HIS kids.  They feel from him, their dad, in a way no one else can or would.  I mean, he's pretty effusive as manly men go.  And VERY cuddly... of course he's usually cuddling the kids in a way that immediately turns into a strangle hold that they have to wrestle out of...

It's just that IIII know how much he loves his kids, but I see so many grown kids running around accusing their dads of not being open enough about their pride or love, that I just want to DOCUMENT it somewhere:

HEY, KIDS! Your dad loves you a ridiculous amount.  When we were away in England he admitted he didn't want to hear any of the news from home.  Because he'd miss you too much if he saw pictures or heard stories.  How cute is that?  I didn't even miss you that much ;) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment