Thursday, June 13, 2013

Swim Lessons... A Lesson in Patience



We've got all the cousins over for swim lessons in our pool this summer.  So far it's going great, though there is a good measure of forlorn watching from those not actively involved (and apparently Finn looks like he may be trying to storm the castle).

It's only been a couple weeks and they've all progressed a huge way.  I am still impatient when their fears keep them from going the next step (well, impatient with my own kids - not invested in the cousins' fear-conquering, though certainly proud).

I find it all an interesting psychological game - how the kids try to bargain or distract away from being challenged to that next level.  How the boys seem to trade off weeks of panic.  How they will do things with Steve that they won't for me.  How hyper they get when they get further than they have before.

I know they will be fishes soon enough, I'm just anxious for them to be 'safe' and able to have as much fun as they can in the pool.


No comments:

Post a Comment